Saturday, October 19, 2013

Hopebuilders 5K **

Final race in the RFYL GPX Series

820 runners and walkers with a final finisher crossing the line at 1:15:07.  Lots of enthusiasm for this cause!

The course was a straight out and back with only a 187 ft total climb. It looked much worse in person but the hills were all gradual rather than steep.
Vendor turnout was strong for this event - something I've noticed as more sporadic in this year's GPX.  I realize the new Signature Series is being promoted but part of the motivation for entering a series is/are the perks.  

My fingers are crossed for a more enticing GPX series in 2014, realizing this series is more for beginners, trainers, re-trainers and those whose only goal (or preference) is to remain physically active and injury free with the shorter distances.

I am a fan of the GPX Series because I prefer the shorter distances, the larger crowds, the runner friendly atmosphere and the continual challenge of a 5 min mile.  Giving up 8 Saturday mornings and 1 Friday night is no small thing, thus I would hope the incentives make the effort worthwhile.

This morning, once again, I was glad to see RFYL staff at the Finish Line monitoring bib numbers and timing results against the computerized results.  If I'm not mistaken, Tim Rhodes (Founder, Owner of Dilworth location) was out there personally checking bibs and timing efficiency.  

That's the Run For Your Life we know and love - stepping up to keep things as they should be and restoring consumer confidence after a temporary lapse. Another great reason to support small business.
I'm awaiting the overall results for the GPX series. As of their last update, I was 3rd place for my age group, not because of spectacular timing but for consistency. 

Only a handful of women in my age group completed enough races in this series to compete for a place.  I was one of them.  There are bonus points for running all nine races (which I did) and for doing both the Friday night/Saturday morning events back-to-back so I am just a tad excited about the completion of this Series. 

♫ Anticipation... it's making me wait ♫ 

CHIP TIME:  41:50

UPDATE 11/26/2013:
The GPX Banquet hosted by RFYL was held tonight at a cost of $12 per person.  I was unable to attend but picked up my award later the following week.  I won 3rd place for my age group and received a medal for my efforts. 
UPDATE 12/27/2013:
On Friday I went to pick up my bib & t-shirt for a Saturday race and got a most pleasant surprise. I had picked up the award (a runner's medal) a few weeks ago and unbeknownst to myself or the person who handed out the medal - a prize should have been included. An employee recognized me Friday and made sure I received the box - they had held it over a month for me. I got a set of 4 RFYL glasses (16 oz) and anyone that knows me knows my first addiction is t-shirts followed closely by glasses/coffee mugs. Very happy runner this weekend! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment