Thursday, June 27, 2013

Esprit de She 5K

Interesting race.

This was a Thursday night run and a last minute decision for me.  One of the few last minute races that I've actually regretted.  The course and amenities were exactly as they should be, parking was close to start and free, location was a good choice for the area and sponsorship was bountiful.

I just didn't enjoy it. 

I don't know if it was the heat.
I don't know if it was the "after work" mood.
I don't know if it was just the town's atmosphere.
I don't know if it was the mixed universities present.
I don't know if it was the competition between Cary, Raleigh, Durham.

But this was not the friendliest race I've ran... quite the opposite.

I'm going with the heat and the work day.  Folks just did not want to be bothered with "other people"... something you rarely see in the south.  I was born and raised in Charlotte and am quite used to a "melting pot"... this was just weird. You could smile and say "Hello" and they just kept walking.  Yeah... the obvious... "It's just you, Tracy" but it wasn't.  It was overall.. limited seating for the meal afterwards and no one "shared" or even offered seats to those without, not even the unused chairs. The meal line was "to each his own" and the post race festivities were very segregated based on existing acquaintances.  This just isn't normal for the racing community as a whole.  I didn't get it.. but it was my first race in this area, I have another at the end of July, perhaps it will broaden my perspective, but until then...  

I'm going with the heat and the work day.

The course was a real workout and it combined both a 5K and a 10K. 194 runners in the 10K and 472  runners in the 5K finished in 91° heat and 65% humidity.  I was drenched.  This was also, by the way, an all women's race. The results only showed three male persons and I suspect they were all kids as I'm sure I saw two of them.  

So glad to see the iced water bottles at the Finish.  AQUAhydrate provided the water.  New brand name to me and I really enjoyed it.  Has electrolytes and minerals and tastes as good as Aquafina with all the benefits of a sports drink minus the sugar and calories.  I liked it so well I bought two cases of it online (only available at GNC or Vitamin World locally) when I got home.

Athleta was the primary sponsor.  Their clothing line was promoted and all participants received an Athleta tank and a handy polyester carryall.  Beer and champagne were available post race with the meal provided - pasta salad, salad, subs, and pizza.  Greek yogurt was also available.   Athleta basically held a three day event - Esprit de She - with races in the middle (see event description via link), all the makings of an excellent event... it was just HOT.. really HOT... and it was a Thursday night.  Hope next year's race can be scheduled more appropriately for those with jobs and kids but the planning was top notch.  We could not ask for a more well managed event.. right down to the ChronoTrack LIVE timing, texting and video feeds.

Overall, this is a fantastic event and I would do it again... perhaps not in Cary, but would definitely run it again.  My fingers are crossed that this race makes its way to Charlotte... soon!

CHIP TIME:  47:20





1 comment:

  1. In listening to a radio show yesterday on my way to a local run... I overheard a barrage of comments regarding Cary NC. Now I don't feel so bad that my thoughts weren't positive... seems I am not alone. The more polite reputation is "CARY = Concentrated Area of Relocated Yankees". No wonder I didn't feel like I was in the South... LOL

    ReplyDelete