Saturday, February 1, 2014

UNCC Gold Rush 5K


Somebody lied!

Announcer told us at 8:58 AM (2 min until Start) that the hills were only in the first mile.  All downhill after that.

Somebody lied!

If you've run the UNCC 5K in times past then you already know that the course has been changed more than once.  This year was another new version. I like the new version. I did not like being lied to.  Warn me of the impending challenge!  *chuckle* If you look at the elevation map below, Mile 2 is a doozy!  All that being said, I still liked the new course.  It showcased more of the campus and the final stretch was actually on the Ruth G Shaw trail which I very much enjoy during the summer months.

Active.com shows 656 results this morning which is pure dedication when it's 25° at 9AM.  347 Female, 304 Male - apparently five runners did not know their gender.  Final Finishers (tie) came in at 1:06:50.  Kudos to RFYL for allowing the timer to run past one hour. 

This years shirt is a keeper.  Love the logo, love the style, color and long sleeves.  This was a Jerzees Heavyweight Blend, 50% cotton, 50% polyester.
Course was very close to accurate this morning.  Runkeeper logged it at 3.2 miles and it was an excellent loop around campus.
My pace is actually better with the Runkeeper distance than with the official timing, simply due to longer length and accuracy.  Nonetheless, I was officially in the 15 mpm category and I was NOT last.  Happy. Happy.  Although I have no qualms coming in last.  It means I am fit enough to do the mileage and I'm off the couch.  Go me!!

Close to a dozen sponsors were present on the field this morning, including the local favorite - Great Harvest Bread.  I was very pleased to see Boardwalk Billy's as a sponsor, giving out free BBQ sandwiches post race, as well as Starbucks, Bruegger's, Concentra, and a few others.  Bottled water did run out post race but there was plenty of coffee and orange juice, as well as the thermal water coolers.  No one did without.

RunKeeper logged my time at 46:38 so I can attest that the official results were accurate this morning, at least for me.  Door prizes were posted next to timing results post race and admittedly, there were some great prizes given out today.  Lots of fun and enthusiasm on the UNCC Campus and a job well done by race organizers!

Run Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment