Sunday, November 24, 2013

St Pete Women's Half Marathon

This was my 4th year attending the St Pete Women's Half Marathon and will most likely be my last.  I would recommend the series to any female simply because it is well managed and the 'bling' is definitely unique.  I may defer to a different WHM location for 2014 but somewhere en route this year I made the decision not to return to St Pete (at least under the present conditions).

Let me explain.

There is loads of enthusiasm for this event and a wonderful turnout.  There are also changes... major changes that took place this year.  

  • GU is no longer a sponsor.  A less reliable gel was provided at Mile 8 of the course.
  • The course has been altered which, sadly, includes the removal of both 'The Pier' near Vinoy Park and 'Tropicana Field' (the indoor run of the baseball stadium). 
  • The course was 13.37 miles due to the remapping.

This transition makes the race an 'all asphalt' event, very little waterfront, no scenic attractions other than to pass by the two locations that were previously part of the course. 

It remains a flat course, it simply is no longer a scenic course thus I don't consider it a 'destination' race which was a major part of the attraction for me.
To anyone who knows the energy behind the Women's Half Marathon Series, I, again, would not deter you.  It is a FLAT course (with one small bridge) and it is all women with the remarkable designer goodie bags and customized medals with charms. A women's fitted tech t-shirt as well (this year's color was Florida blue and gorgeous!).  It just isn't a scenic route any more.
(Medal included a charm shaped like Flip Flops)

The new route was tedious but other than that, it was a perfect day.  Overcast, 60°, no rain, plenty of breeze and lots of support.  All turns and course markings were very clear and lots of police presence to ensure safety. Parking is also very accessible and fees are not outrageous (as Gasparilla).  I parked at the Mahaffey Theater for $5 and it is right at the Start Line.  I will repeat, this is a well organized event.  It is the actual course that I find disappointing.

In prior years, WHM awarded participants with a 3-peat medal (charm) for any runner / walker that ran three consecutive events - either three in one year or three years consecutively.  I completed the three years and for those in 2012 that accomplished this level of commitment, not all received the 3-peat designation, myself included.  Again, more changes.

On a more personal note, my running shorts split a few seams around Mile 4.5 during a 'pit stop' which cost me 4 mins.  This event does not provide body glide or Vaseline at the water stops so I completed the remaining miles at a lesser pace and earned my 5 nasty chafe burns as a result.  Lesson learned.  Body Glide is mandatory.

As for the St Pete race, I hope the organizers listen to the feedback and my fingers are crossed that the event returns to it's 'destination race' status.  Best of luck to WHM!

UPDATE 01/23/2014:
Today I received in the mail my "3-peat" medal from WRS (as it is now referred to).  It is one year late and has a new name (compared to the three original races I ran under the WHM logo).  It is cute. Sort of. It has studs between each digit of the year earned making it a bit hard to discern, but hey, they did send it and more importantly, I did earn it.  This race had a major sponsorship change in 2012 so those of us that earned the award that year had to wait until all the dust settled.  Glad to see the dedication to fans and, again, I hope they take the comments on the route changes under consideration.