Tuesday, November 19, 2013

MRT Fall Series 5K Race #8 **

For those that actually read the headers... I skipped Race #7.  Charlotte and the surrounding cities had snow that evening, beginning north in Statesville at the race location then traveling southward through Charlotte on into SC.  I chose to forgo driving in it because the city of Charlotte is not known for superb driving in inclement weather and my route would have taken me straight into it both pre and post race. 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.


Tuesday nights belong to  the Iredell County Fall Race Series hosted by McLelland Racing Team (MRT). The Series began October 1st and will end on November 28th with a Thanksgiving Day 10K and each race is only $10 with an option to buy a series shirt if interested.  Short sleeved shirts are $15 (from previous race series) and long sleeved are $25.

All races support a community cause, each unique to the race itself.  MRT supports local charities and resources so it's money well spent. Each race takes place in beautiful Iredell County at various community sites.  

Locations are listed on the Fall Flyer (Facebook) or in the race listing (RacesOnline).


This location was the War Memorial Recreation Center in Mooresville, NC, 220 N Maple Street.  The course was over residential streets (all asphalt) and including LOTS of hills.  The final quarter mile stretch was downhill but you worked hard to get there.

This course was altered slightly from previous runs in order to make it more challenging.  The elevation chart proves it is NOT a flat course.
Much to my personal delight (and humor) I won first place for my age group last night.  I was also the final finisher.  When the Race Director called my name ... I simply burst out laughing.  Excited to win but acknowledging I was the ONLY one in my Age Group and the last to cross the finish line.  But as so many have told me... a win is a win!  So I'll take it.  This marks my 2nd official placing in a public race (both were 5Ks).

Today was a good day!

Official Time:  43:58

No comments:

Post a Comment