Monday, September 2, 2013

VA Beach Rock-N-Roll Half Marathon

Things I Learned At This Half Marathon...

This was the first race that I’ve ever done where I was “in tune” with my body and its needs / challenges / victories.

I’m sitting here writing this and I feel great!  No overwhelming soreness, muscle fatigue or stiffness, so something is working… well!  After 90 days of 'mad dog' workouts, I haven't lost/gained weight.  I've fluctuated on 3 lbs but I've gained muscle.  I may have to take a more drastic measure to address the weight as it is NOT responding to typical diet and exercise.  I have removed caffeine from my diet and  increased fiber; sugar/breads/pastas are next on the chopping block.  The more drastic measure may be a short term liquid diet to kick start the process.

I did a 5K on Saturday then drove up to VA Beach for the Expo / Packet Pickup.  Lovely area, great Expo.  I returned Sunday directly after the race, did not stay for any post race activities so this blog will dwell predominately on what I've learned running-wise from my increased activities and motivation.

On to the personal growth stuff…

  • I now know which sports bra is best for the longer distances
  • I know I must upgrade my running shoes (feet are fine but felt like hammers had pounded after the race)
  • I had NO stomach cramping the entire race, I know now I’m a protein eater (steak) pre-race.  Pasta doesn’t do it for me. I had sirloin and a spinach dip the night before and no ill side effects. Woot!  (pasta is like lead in my stomach for a race… literally!)
  • I did the first 8 miles on pace for a sub 3 hr finish… that’s when my “learning” began
  • Mile 5 marker – I have Exercise Induced Anaphylaxis (hands, feet, arm swelling).  I’ve always believed it’s tied to weight and hydration.  It used to hit at Mile 2.  Didn’t hit until after Mile 5 today which is GOOD news.  We got GU at Mile 8 and I watched the swelling go up and down from there forward, something from my intake (water, Gatorade, GU) was bringing it back down.  I had hands and feet mostly… Mile 7 it was creeping up my arm (stops at elbow) but it’s not to be ignored if it reaches the elbow.  This is the FIRST time I’ve seen it reverse DURING a race!
  • Mile 6 marker – everyone, no exceptions, got hit by hydration… it wasn’t poor pre-hydration, it was the course.  Only .6 mi was on the ‘beachfront boardwalk’ and that was the finish line.  Everything else was roads.  We hit a wooded subdivision at Mile 5 and there was no breeze only very heavy humidity and heat.  This element is the standard for the VA Beach race.  It is a flat course (minus one short bridge) but you pay for it in humidity. Mi 5-9 were the worst, hands down, once you got out of that area, the breezes returned, specifically the ocean breezes which helped. Part of the section actually went thru military housing, that was neat… humid but neat!
  • Mile 9 marker – I hit a wall, specifically hydration.  I utilized every water stop (multiple) but could not reach where I needed to be from there to the finish.  Literally hours after the race my tongue was still sticking to the roof of my mouth.  Today I know that it was due to fiber intake pre-race.  My GI doc had put me on Metamucil this prior week and I had no idea until the half (other than the bloating and weight differential) what it would do to my running.  I won’t be doing that again.
  • Mile 10 marker – my weight (bloated last 3-5 days) caused lower back pain, the effect you can see in my splits.  Walking that off (11 & 12) took precious time.
  • Mile 12 marker - After walking out the lower back pain I took pace with a strong 12 min runner and held on for a good distance… I stopped eventually because of hydration but I knew the muscle and endurance was there. I KNEW I could have kept up that pace if not for the other two obstacles (disproportionate weight, hydration).  I am reminded, once again, of some excellent running advice I got way back in the beginning…  “You don’t run to lose weight, you lose weight to run”.
  • Mile 12 marker – my cell phone had been burning my skin the last few miles so I took it out to see where Runkeeper had me and to relieve the burning sensation… screen had died, literally.  Phone functions but no screen so I will be visiting Sprint today.  I could not post for Runkeeper, Gympact, Facebook, Foursquare; could not make phone calls or read texts; could not use the MAP function for directions.  I have no idea what I missed after 7am Sunday morning… it is gone forever… LOL
  • Mile 13 marker – I was walking at this point.  I did sprint through the Finish Coral and must say I really like the set up for the R-N-R races.  Their coral start system is very effective and at no point in the race was I ever “alone”… always in a multitude of people on a wide closed course.  I started in coral 7 (hoping for a 2 hr pace) and a running friend from NC (ran into her at the Expo) started in Coral 18 (she admitted a 3+ hr pace) and she never caught up to me and even at my pace I never had that “caboose” crowd.  Kudos to R-N-R!  I had water, chocolate milk, and Gatorade post race and still had dry mouth so I know that hydration MUST be addressed if I’m going to do 26.2 by the end of this month.
  • Humorous Moment:  While running, a wonderful spectator cheered for me... "You Go Momma! 7206"  and when I reached the Finish area, a lovely volunteer asked... "Do you want a second medal for "the baby" since he ran it too!  #justsmile  I must say I considered both a compliment even though I am most definitely NOT preggers!  One that they honored me for doing a distance like that while pregnant and two, that they thought I was young enough to actually be pregnant!  Yeah, life is good.


Final NoteLosing Weight moved to the top of my Health Priority List.  

This course is described as beachfront... it isn't.  It claims 'run on the boardwalk'... don't be deceived.  I don't say this as a criticism but a warning to first timers.  There will be heat.  There will be humidity.  You will suffer... this is August after all.  Outside of that though, you'll absolutely LOVE it!  Lots of fantastic bands along the route.  Even a contemporary christian band, a jazz band and a few country bands were in the mix.   

The "beachfront" is actually the main drag with motels, shops and restaurants.  You will feel the ocean breeze but you really can't absorb its scenery.  This only lasts a mile or so then it's all asphalt jungle until the last 6/10ths of the race.  This is the "Boardwalk".  You will finish directly on the boardwalk (no sand - concrete) and have a lovely view of the VA Beach and pier.  The majority of the course though is street views with the exception of one bridge at Harbor Pointe that you will cross twice.


The course is described as an out and back which it is but it's not a loop per se.  It's a major zig zag which really isn't visible on the map.  It is well marked and closed off so you won't miss any turns whatsoever.  Lots of hydration stops throughout the entire route and even a tour through military housing as part of the course.
The START and FINISH are about two blocks apart (19th St START, 17th St FINISH).  There are shuttles that will take you back and forth to free parking both before and after the race.  Shuttle service to START ends at 6am, Shuttle service from FINISH ends at 1 pm.  I didn't use either.  I parked at a nearby bank (free but asks for donations to TEAM HOYT) less than a quarter mile from the START allowing me to arrive at about 6:30 am.

The actual START is a Wave Start.  Runners align with their pre-selected coral numbers (based on estimated finish times) and start off coral by coral in one minute increments meaning, I was in Coral 7 and I started at 7:07 AM (baby joggers got the first start).  This wave setup is very effective. 

I will also mention that coral assignment is NOT written in stone, no colored bibs for each coral number as in other events.  All bibs are identical in color and runners can move to any coral he/she feels comfortable with provided there is room, and there was - truly.  This was a very well organized race.  I was glad to be in Coral 7 and able to enjoy a larger running group the entire time - an opportunity I am rarely afforded at my current pace.  Since the course was very wide (full road access) and closed, it did not present a problem for those needing to pass, lots of room to move and if you genuinely knew your own pace and started with that group, there was not really a need for constant passing.  Again, great setup by R-N-R.   

I also learned that Blonde Moments can be very taxing...  Since I parked so close to START I assumed it would be easy to return.  Post race, 1 hr 15 min to locate my vehicle ON FOOT.  Won't be doing that again!  Note to self, if you aren't going to remember the street names or address AT LEAST remember the name of the building!  I stopped several strangers / locals and "it's a gray 3 story building near the Convention Center" was totally useless information.  Yes.  I have blonde moments.  #liveandlaugh

While I did not reach a sub 3 hr finish (goal) I did set a new PR.  I lowered my previous record by over 6 min.  I'm happy.  Very happy.  And more motivated than ever!
The R-N-R 'techie' side was phenomenal.  Both my results and race photos were available SAME DAY via the website.  Overall I was greatly impressed with this event and truly look forward to participating in more Rock-N-Roll events in the future!

CHIPTIME:  3:18:47
TEMPS:  75° - 82°
HUMIDITY:  94%

No comments:

Post a Comment