Saturday, August 3, 2013

Blue 5K


Today was a good day.

I shaved 2 min 7 secs off my PR.

Today was a good day.

Hard to feel my excitement in those words but it's there.  I'm updating my blog at 2:30 in the AM, smiling while typing, realizing the 'mad dog workouts' I've been doing the last two months are beginning to break through the barriers I've been hitting the last 5+ years.  If you read my blog (see: About Me) you know I've had a few obstacles along the way.  I ran this race at 212 lbs this morning and STILL got an improved score. My personal trainer informed me today that while I'm not seeing the results in pounds right now, she is seeing it in inches. So it's working, it's really working.  The weight will come  in due time and it can't get here soon enough for me!  Enough of that..

This race was downhill for the first 1.5 mi.. and then we paid for it.


You can see in my splits that I took extreme advantage of the first mile and half and it paid off.

The course was pretty straightforward - a rectangle beginning and ending at Panther Stadium.  I parked two blocks up in the metered parking (free on weekends) and walked straight to the start line.



I am amazed at the results, considering my current weight, but also grateful knowing the end (goal) is in sight.  The third mile was more walking than the other stretches but even at that, a 13:06 mile is a HUGE improvement for me.  To anyone reading that has faced physical health challenges along this road, don't be discouraged. No matter how long it takes we will get there, one step at a time.

The Blue 5K had 325 participants this morning, a significant drop from previous years - 2012 / 699, 2011 / 692, 2010 / 979.  Sad to see the drop in participation for any Run For Your Life event but at present this is a growing trend for their Event Management group.  

Sir Purr was present as well as the Panther cheerleaders.  Lots of fantastic volunteers along the route and the water stop was fully functioning this morning when I reached it at the 1.5 mile marker.  Really grateful for today's lovely ladies cheering on runners and volunteering their hearts out!

Very few vendors at the race today, but then this is a big day for the Panthers. First preseason game is Aug 9th and their annual FanFest Celebration is today beginning at 3:30 - different from prior years whereas the FanFest began directly after the race event.  

This years shirt was solid black with the Panther Logo on the front and ALL vendor and race info on the back.  Brand was TulTex, 65% polyester, 35% cotton. Definitely a keeper!

I didn't stay for awards although I hear they include Panther Jerseys. I headed out for a Power Workout with my Personal Trainer followed by a well deserved afternoon in the pool!  

This is most definitely a race worth attending and I hope to return in 2014.

CHIP TIME:  39:27





No comments:

Post a Comment