Friday, June 17, 2011

Sunsets at Pier 60 5K Series


What a week!  This is a race I should have skipped and didn't.  I'm glad I was out there and getting exercise but my efforts were by no means noteworthy.  I had caught the flu virus the week before and was suffering through the worst of it days prior to the race.  I showed up anyway.  Something to be said for perseverance.  For those of you that have caught the flu bug (v. 2.0, the non-winter, late spring, early summer version) my heart goes out to you. Nasty stuff.  For those of you that can run record times with flu symptoms, more power to you.  I am not yet that empowered.

Having been a late starter to the first event, I left earlier for this race, to no avail.  A traffic accident on I-275 cost me over a half hour delay so I was once again late.  This time much later than the first time, I could no longer see the runners when I headed out for the start.  I did however take my Garmin and timed myself.  Garmin gave me 53:19 which is not good compared to my usual times but not bad considering it was the first time I'd been outside my front door since arriving home Tuesday.  I did overtake the last place runner who, bless her heart, still managed to finish in under an hour but chose not to turn her results card in (manual timing). She was glad to have finished but I suspect was not a fan of running on the sand, especially not for a first 5K.

This is a wonderful series with a great support group to manage it.  I would recommend the series to anyone with the caution of Friday evening drive times, parking at Clearwater Beach, and the challenge of running on sand (yes, it is hard, sand is pliable and there is usually uneven terrain all the way through due to changing tides) but for $8 a race, its an extremely good workout in great company!  The reggae bands are wonderful and the awards ceremony takes place on the same pavilion as the band.  There is also an inflatable slide / bounce mobile for kids and the usual beach attractions in the area.  Not too shabby for a Friday night!

OFFICIAL TIME:  57:35  (full walk)

No comments:

Post a Comment