Saturday, March 20, 2010

GPX Shamrock 4 Miler


Excellent turnout for the first event of the 2010 GPX race series and, once again, Run For Your Life (RFYL) was on top of their game.!

917 avid enthusiasts turned out for the four miles, with the eldest being an 86 yr old female with a finish time of 50:22 - outstanding! The youngest was a 7 yr old with a finish time of 1:01:04 followed by an 8 yr old with an impressive 36:13, proving that this sport is truly for all ages and all abilities.

RFYL hosts an awards ceremony like no other for these GPX races and this morning's prizes were no exception. Door prizes included tickets to "The Last Song", a Miley Cyrus movie premier, gift certificates to RFYL and a variety of other items to folks who wore green in support of the St. Patrick's Day holiday.

My personal time was not record breaking simply because I chose to walk this event AND (leave it to me to do this...) I was late. I was parking as the start gun sounded and still had to walk over to pick up my chip before heading to the start line. I actually passed the folks carrying the disengaged timing apparatus as they were crossing over to setup for the finish line. They have to do this quickly because there are truly some top notch runners on board for these races (1st place time was 20:04 - that's a per mile pace of 5:01). Nonetheless, we are only in competition with ourselves so it matters most that we show up and participate and I can truly say I did my part heartily!

Very much looking forward to the next GPX race on April 24 - see you there!


GUN TIME: 1:01:32

ACTUAL TIME: 56:32 (subtracting 5 min for missing chip start time)

No comments:

Post a Comment